Saturday, August 30, 2008

What's With The Mustache?

I suppose I have some explaining to do. See, I've seen your eyes rolling when I talk about growing out my mustache and I'm tired of it. You just don't get it, do you?

I think the best way to deal with this is with a fake Q&A session. I'll ask the questions and I'll give the answers. Here we go.

Q: What's with The Mustache, man? I mean, it's 2008 not 1908.
A: 1908 was a great year, man. The Grand Canyon was first set aside as a National Monument (later into a National Park), Teddy Roosevelt was still President of the U.S., and Mothers Day was first (publicly) celebrated in 1908 (Very Official Source: wikipedia). I might add that TR sported a mustache as well...I bet you wouldn't be making fun of him to his face.



Q: But don't you think it looks a little ridiculous?
A: Perhaps, but don't you think that wearing gloves filled with toxic, stinging ants for 10 minutes is ridiculous as well? My point here is that growing a mustache is a rite of passage for the modern man. Rites of passage have been an important part of human civilization for a long, long time and should be embraced, not ridiculed.

Q: So are you admitting that you haven't entered manhood yet? I'm not stating an opinion here, just following your logic.
A: I quit.

Q: So when can we expect to get our first glimpse of this thing?
A: When the time is right, a picture will be posted. In the meantime, you'll just have to be patient (and judging by the rate of growth so far, patience will be very, very important).

Q: Last question: Are you guys ever going to travel? You've been posting about mustaches for two weeks. This isn't what I signed up for.
A: Funny. We're leaving tomorrow to hike the Juan de Fuca Trail on the southwestern side of Vancouver Island, BC. We'll be leisurely hiking for five days with our friends from MN, Erica and Josh. We're very excited to officially be moving out of our apartment and beginning our travels.

5 comments:

eyevandrago said...

i just saw Alex in San Francisco. He's rocking a mustache and it actually looks pretty good. It sort of makes me want to grow one.

Joe said...

The last time I went with a mustache I just looked like a guy with a mustache. Previously, it had always had an ironic flair. I felt like I was truly a man when I was finally able to grow an unironic stache.

downs said...

You should throw in a neckbeard while you're at it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-neckbeard_06sep06,0,2349264.story

Carpenter said...

Alex! Stop trying to show me up!

I have about four and a half weeks to grow something respectable before I see you...not nearly enough time I'm afraid.

Mom said...

This is all very Sam Elliot of you, son. Remember him? "Beef, it's whats for dinner". OMG, pitter patter goes my heart - there is no mustache better than that!

Perhps you should visit his fan club: TSMEAS (the T is silent) the Sam Elliot Mustache Appreciation Society @
Group URL: http://groups.myspace.com/samelliottsmustache. Don't worry... I am not a member...