Monday, August 18, 2008

The Chair

Today I sold my green recliner.



As I mentioned in my last post, we're trying to downsize so we don't have to store a lot of stuff, but man I wasn't prepared for what happened after I sold it. I cried. Seriously?! Yes. Does that make me less of a man? Maybe, but at least I cried about a recliner instead of, say, the ending of Atonement. Ok, I might have cried at the ending of Atonement too. You have to understand though! Me and that chair go way back, back to high school when it was in my mom's house, then onto college with me at UCLA, and then onto Seattle with me. Now it's in someone else's house with someone else's feet on it. That hits deep.

Oh, I failed to mention that the guy I sold it to was named Eric too. Weird huh?! I did like him during the 3 minutes we exchanged pleasantries and cash, so at least I can feel like it went to a good home. Plus, the whole Eric thing makes me feel like I'm still connected in a way.

Back to my feelings.

As Eric's truck pulled away, the memories started pouring through my head. Fisher, asleep on the recliner. Myself, asleep on the recliner. Mike, asleep on the recliner. Alex, asleep on the recliner. It was powerful. So many memories I just couldn't take it. I think part of it was that it symbolized that we're actually moving on. It was the first big item to leave the apartment and it started to sink in that this is actually happening. We're really going to travel...and I guess it wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be.

4 comments:

Courtney and Tom said...

I just read this, and I cried too. That was a good chair. A lot of memories for our fam. I love you "O" and can't wait to keep up on your efil. I love Mar too and hope you both have a fun and safe travels. Had I known...I would have probably bought that chair from you. Take care. I love you both!!

Courtney and Tom said...

btw--check out our blog ahead of time: carpenter.wilberg@blogspot.com

I'll keep an eye out for good rates. US Air repeatedley looses luggage...no bueno.

I love you Mary!! I love you Eric!! Please call if you need anything...friendly ear...ideas...etc. you are my favorite family!!

Take Care-

Court

Casey Heacock White said...

This is very exciting. It's my first blog I've ever subscribed to so make it good, the future of all my, um, future blogs rests in your hands.

Happy trails!

Casey

eyevandrago said...

Great picture demonstration of your feelings.